Welcome back to the Micro Empires Podcast! I’m your host, Jennifer Ives Grimson. Today I will share with you the FOUR keys for successful networking. I have been in the sales industry for over 25 years, and there were a couple of things I’ve learned along the way that are very effective for success in the networking space.
Let’s jump right into this episode and find out how you can build your network and get in front of the right people.
[00:01 – 03:11] Opening Segment
- I talk briefly about how you can be successful in the networking space
- I’ve been in sales for 25 years
- I thought all salespeople were slimy
- Working as an extrovert when you’re an introvert
[03:12 – 05:28] First Key: You Are The Brand
- The skills you’ve learned and acquired are portable
- Take good care of your brand
[05:29 – 20:37] Second Key: Effective Social Media
- LinkedIn is an amazing networking tool
- Use your profile to tell your story and attract
- Use a professional photo of JUST YOU on your social profiles
- Have brand-continuity
- Follow companies/organizations in your niche
- Be careful until you have established your network
- My approach to how I break into a new market
- When your connection is accepted, leave a voicemail the next day
- Do not connect with someone and then send a canned email; No one likes spam.
- I make my phone calls at night
[20:38 – 30:02] Third Key: To Be An In-Person Kind of Person
- I attended Podcast Movement 2019
- Research who will be there and established a contact
- I got the chance to talk to my idol, Jordan Harbinger
- Planted a seed that I plan to harvest in the future
- Ask A Relevant Question
- Be smart, be funny, be memorable; at least be one of these three
- I asked the panel, how do you get in front of a network?
- I was approached by Westwood One, Sticher, and Lemonada
- Be Interested To Be Interesting
- Don’t ask for anything until you’ve earned it
[30:03 – 34:12] Fourth Key: Act As If…
- Don’t fake it ’til you make it. You have to be HONEST
- Speak it and believe it
- Find a way to deliver your message
- I create business cards; I use Moo.com
- Include a photograph or memorable image
- The goal is for them to keep your card long enough that they would add you on their contact list
[34:12 – 36:15] Closing Segment
- Resources I would like to leave with you
- Jordan Harbinger Website – Grab the FREE 6 Minute Networking Course
- Importance of body language and social skills
- Final words from me
“Your pitch, your card, your questions should be like a great resume. You want to leave them wanting more. Never tell your whole story. Make them wanna follow up and ask you questions; more about you, more about your story, more about what you’re doing.” – Jennifer Ives Grimson
You can connect with me on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. I’m excited to know more about you.
TELL US WHAT YOU THINK! LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone who wants to explode their business growth by sharing this episode or click here to listen to our previous episodes.
This podcast is about YOU. We all have a story, whether your story is a lot like mine or totally different. Maybe you have a good job, but you know in your heart that you want more.
What’s your Micro Empire?
To know more, visit our website https://micro-empires.com/ and I’ll see you there!