Today’s episode of Micro Empires Podcast is with Gigi Butler. This episode was originally recorded last February, 2020 and happened during a live event at the entrepreneur center in Nashville. Gigi became an entrepreneur for the first time at the age of 7, when she started selling eggs door to door. So, when she opened Gigi’s Cupcakes in 2008 only having $33 to her name, she never flinched. Instead, she thought, “Why not me?”. Within 5 years, that $33 turned to $33million.
Alright, Let’s jump into this episode and hear from Gigi about how sometimes your recipe for success is just simply let go to grow. This is her story and the announcement of her new venture!
[00:01 – 07:46] Opening Segment
- I introduce guest Gigi Butler into the show
- Quick plug to Gigi’s book “The Secret Ingredient”
- Gigi talks about her background before Nashville
- She was born in Oklahoma but raised in California
- God always has your back so keep going
- She wanted to be a singer and moved to Nashville
- Opened her own business, “Gigi’s Cleaning Company”
- Her biggest lesson in life, “being able to transition”
[07:47 – 12:59] Gigi’s Cleaning Business
- Gigi shares a story about Taylor Swift
- She was cleaning for Taylor Swift at one point of her life
- You have to let your dream die sometimes
- What am I gonna do for the rest of my life?
- Gigi talks about rebuilding herself
- Read a lot of books on how to become better
- Gigi pivots to the cupcake business
- “Why Not?”, “Why Not Me?”
[13:00 – 21:36] Gigi’s Recipe For Success
- Gigi talks about her transition to the cupcake business
- The importance of not giving up
- She took $100 thousand cash advance on her credit card
- Believing in yourself
- If it doesn’t work out, that’s okay. You will be okay.
- How Gigi realized that her cupcake business was a success
- A lady yelled at her because she ordered cupcakes that were not in the menu
- Her customer wanted consistency from her
- Gigi’s franchise business during the 2008 recession
- Providing people a little bit of happiness through cupcakes
[21:37 – 30:28] Let Go To Grow
- Gigi talks about what these cupcakes meant to people back then
- People love that the cupcakes were homemade
- The smell takes people back
- Gigi talks about her episode with Undercover Boss
- Gigi sold her company in 2016
- If you want to grow, you have to let go
- The process of launching something brand new
[30:29 – 40:30] Closing Segment
- Gigi’s big announcement
- She is selling her original store
- She will start a new business
- What are a few gut checks that you would tell people to have before signing the dotted line?
- “Get a good lawyer. Don’t lean on someone just because you are afraid”
- How do you find the balance between going “All in” and “Start small”?
- “There’s value in starting small because you can learn what makes you special”
- How did you stay fit being around with such goodness for so many years?
- “It is a balance. 2 Cupcakes a week and I work out 6 days a week for an hour and a half. I drink a lot of water.”
- Final words from me and Gigi
“Don’t lean on someone just because you’re afraid.” – Gigi Butler
“If you want to grow, you have to let go.” – Gigi Butler
“The women who really take off are the ones who took it in their own hands.” – Jennifer Ives Grimson
- The Power of Broke by Daymond John
- The Secret Ingredient by Gigi Butler
- Gigi on Undercover Boss (Gigi’s Journal)
TELL US WHAT YOU THINK! LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone who wants to explode their business growth by sharing this episode or click here to listen to our previous episodes.
This podcast is about YOU. We all have a story; whether your story is a lot like mine or totally different. Maybe you have a good job, but you know in your heart that you want more.
Let’s Work Together
Subscribe to download my FREE eBook, “3 Steps to Pivot and Thrive: Using Micro-Risks to Build Your Micro Empire.” Click https://micro-empires.com/